How to Download Windows 11 Insider Preview on Unsupported PC
Microsoft has some Windows 11 system requirements for eligibility for the free upgrade. This requires your device to have 8th generation or higher processors for Intel, AMD Gen 2 or higher, and newer generation processors such as Qualcomm 7 and 8 Series. Most importantly, TPM 2.0 and UEFI with secure boot are a must.
Although support for Intel processors is constantly updated, Windows 11 can take a very long time to get into the dev channel. Here’s how to bypass the PC Health Check and enter the Windows Insider Program on unqualified PCs or unsupported hardware.
The following tutorial requires tweaking the Registry so that Windows thinks it’s supported hardware. This tutorial will help you easily download and install the latest Windows 11 Insider Preview build 10.0.22000.51.
How to download and install Windows 11 Insider Preview on unsupported Windows PCs?
Step 1: Go to the Microsoft website and Sign Up for the Windows Insider Program .
Step 2: On your computer, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Insider Program in the left sidebar .
Step 3: Select “Get Started” Insider Preview Program .
Step 4: You will need to enable the Optional Diagnostic Data and Feedback option from the Privacy section .
Step 5: Click the Get started button.
Step 6: Select “ Release preview ring ” and continue.
Step 7: Click “ Restart ” to complete the installation .
Step 8: Open Notepad or Notepad++ and create a .reg file with the following content :
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\UI\Selection] "UIContentType"="Mainline" "UIRing"="External" "UIBranch"="Dev" [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Applicability] BranchName"="Dev" "ContentType"="Mainline" "Ring"="External"
Step 9: Run the file, these settings will be applied and you will be back to Dev Channel.
As an alternaive,
- After rebooting search for “Regedit” and press the ‘Enter’ key.
- This should open the Registry Editor.
- Go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\UI\Selection” (without quotes)
- Change “UIBranch” to “Dev”, “ContentType” to “Mainline” and “Ring” to “External”.
- Again, navigate to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsSelfHost\Application” (without quotes)
- Change “BranchName” key to “Dev”, “ContentType” to “Mainline” and “Ring” to “External”
Step 10: Once complete, close Registry Editor and restart your computer .
Step 11: Check for updates again in Settings -> Update & Security -> Windows Update .
Step 12: You should now see the Windows 11 Insider Preview 10.0.22000.51 build download .
Step 13: Install (may fail first time; windows install will open and say your PC is not supported)
If the update fails,
- Cancel the installation and wait for it to shut down.
- Download this dll (appraiserres.dll)
- Copy to “C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources” folder, replace when prompted
- Try reinstalling the update via Windows Update.
If you do not install or get stuck, you can leave a message in the comments section.