Until recently, one of the downsides for users switching from Android to iOS was the difficulty of migrating their WhatsApp conversations from one device to another. Originally, the feature was limited to a range of devices or to members of the beta program, who get access to new and not yet stable features of the chat app (some of them will even never be completed). It has finally made its way to the Android users with the Move to iOS app, also known as Move to iOS.
How to transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone with Move to iOS
Connect Android and iPhone via Move to iOS to migrate WhatsApp chats
After installing the Move to iOS app, whose download link is a few lines down, follow these steps:
- Launch Move to iOS and follow the instructions until you get to the screen where you can find the code in iOS.
- Go to your iPhone and open the iOS setup assistant. In it you have to Transfer data from Android choose.
- Go back to Android and click Continueto open the screen where you enter the 6-digit code displayed on your iPhone to connect the two devices.
- Now you have to go to the section transfer data go and WhatsApp choose.
- Click on Start and wait for the WhatsApp setup process to finish, which will exit automatically on this device.
- When you’re done, click Continueto switch back to iOS.
- Click now Continueto start transferring chats from Android to iPhone. This process may take some time depending on the number and size of the chats.
- Install the latest version of WhatsApp on your iPhone and sign in with the same number you use on Android. The app automatically checks whether you have started a transfer process and completes it as soon as you open Continue click
However, WhatsApp emphasizes that Chats transferred to iPhone are not backed up until they are backed up to iCloud.
Requirements to move WhatsApp conversations from Android to iOS
In order to be able to carry out this process, the following requirements must be met in addition to the Move to iOS app:
- Android 5.0 or higher on the Android.
- Use iOS 15.5 or later on the iPhone.
- WhatsApp for iOS version 184.108.40.206.
- WhatsApp for Android 220.127.116.11 or later.
- A new iPhone or one with factory settings that has just been reset.
- Both devices are connected to the same WiFi network or the Android device is connected to the iPhone’s WiFi hotspot.